Shelving is great for storage in the garage, but it can do a lot more than that. Read on to find out all about garage shelving and more in this post.
The garage is often regarded as a place for function. However, it doesn’t have to be just another boring garage. You can add style and storage with these great garage shelf ideas, no matter what you have in mind.
This post will provide you with a glimpse of the possibilities that come with garage shelving and shelf systems, including what you need to know to design your ideal space and shelving solution to fit your needs.
Do you like this garage door? This is an Eastman E-11, 10'x7', Desert Sand door and overlays, 8 lite Panoramic windows
Start with Some Prep
You can’t start a new project until you take a minute to get the space in order. Look around and think about what you need to store—perhaps you’re keeping tools, gardening supplies, and outdoor equipment out of the way. Maybe you’ve got keepsakes that you want to pass along. Whatever it is, you’ll want to store it right.
That includes getting rid of the risk of moisture and condensation, which can lead to serious issues. It might be necessary to give your garage a little TLC before you start working on shelving projects and other upgrades. You can take a quick look to see if there are any signs of condensation that might point to issues that need attention.
● Metal rust and corrosion
● Cloth and paper mildewing
● Damage to photos and other keepsakes
● In serious situations, mold growth
If you don’t have the time or think you don’t have the skills, you can call in a garage door tech that can handle the maintenance and take a good look around.
Now that we’ve covered that, let’s get back to the selection of the best garage shelf ideas that can inspire your new space.
Conventional Shelf Systems
Shelves come in metal, plastic, and metal/wood combo options, as well as the choice between different configurations since they are freestanding units. They also offer great value for the money.
Of course, they’re pretty standard, plain shelves, so you might want to spruce them up a bit. You can do this with a simple coat of paint or even get more detailed in your upgrades if you want. First, let’s look at each option more closely.
You like getting things organized AND cute? See these 25 garage door storage ideas from Abby Lawson, justagirlandherblog.com
Your Options for Shelf Systems
● Plastic – Plastic shelving is available just about anywhere that sells hardware and furnishings for the home. These shelves and systems usually don’t hold as much weight as metal or metal/wood units but they also provide durability and function for those who need lightweight storage without breaking the bank. You might not want to store heavy tools here, but they can be good for outdoor equipment or lighter tools.
● Metal/Wood – The metal and wood shelving options on the market today are designed to provide a sturdier option. The wood is usually plywood or pressboard and is surrounded by the metal frame. While these shelves can hold more weight, the wood may be susceptible to rotting or warping over time. It also stains easily.
● All-Metal – The most durable option, by far, is the all-metal shelving unit. You can choose from solid shelving and wire units, along with plenty of other styles. These are probably the most “utility” style shelving options, but they do work.
You could choose to go with wall-mounted shelving, which usually comes as individual units. They can be bought in sets, however, to suit all of your storage needs. These shelves will be anchored to the walls and come in wood, metal, and a combination of the two.
Wall-Mounted Shelving Considerations
● Wall-mounted shelving saves a ton of floor space.
● You might not get as much storage volume with wall-mounted systems.
● However, wall-mounted shelves are flexible and can be installed wherever they are most needed.
● Wall-mounted shelving offers a much better aesthetic option for people who want something less utilitarian.
Overhead Shelf Systems
Finally, there are overhead shelving solutions available. These are typically metal and will hang from upright arms that install on the ceiling.
Browse these 10 Great Overhead Storage Ideas For The Garage from Homedit
What to Consider with Overhead Systems
● Overhead storage gives you back all of your floor space so that you can park, work, and more.
● You will want to be sure that you don’t put your shelves in the path of the garage door.
● Consider specialty shelving to make use of that empty space above the door.
● Overhead shelving doesn’t have as much capacity as freestanding shelves might, but it offers a much more user-friendly option.
Perhaps your garage door tracks or the door itself need some maintenance? Is the door looking like it could use a replacement? Contact the professionals now for assistance.
Considering a garage door upgrade before you organize? Perhaps you think it is going to be outside of your budget. You’d be surprised to know you’re wrong. Learn all about how affordable garage doors can be.
What do you think of the full-view garage doors? These are California, 6'x8'-6" and 16'x 8'-6", Black aluminum frame, Sandblasted glass
Is It Time for a New Garage Door?
Contact the experts to get the assistance that you need in choosing a new garage door, as well as to get help with storage, maintenance, and repair solutions.
Overhead Door of Nova Scotia can provide a quotation via email, along with other ways to get in touch and get the solutions you need.
Are you unsure of the style you need? Check out our 3 styles so that you see what’s out there and what your options are going to be.
Call us at 1-800-561-7555.
We’re going to be ready to help you with your decision whenever you need us.
Creativity got you inspired?
Try our Design Centre. You can upload a picture of your home, try out different doors, and find the perfect fit with ease.
Still on the fence?
Check out all of the gorgeous garage doors you can find here. There are tons of choices and you’re sure to find inspiration for your new style.